Thursday, March 21, 2013

An Open Place

I cannot wait to watch the documentary, City of Borders. I'm sure you will learn later but this is what I am extremely interested. This idea of both the Israelis and Palestinians coming together in a community like LGBTQ is so eye opening. In a world that is shut off by so many religious groups all over the world, they use their differences to come together. If learning anything in this class it's that both groups of people are very attached to their history and heritage, but when you are able to overcome those huge differences and look for similarities, you are able to live together.

I think that the Jerusalem Open House is incredible as well. Giving people a place to come in such a strong ability in such a violent community. Not only do I have strong ties to this problem for a love of people in general, but the LGBTQ is very much a part of. Growing up, my family was extremely open and always taught me to love all the people around you, no matter what they look like or believe in. It has always been a part of my life.

These are the type of people that understand the bond between each other, not the separation.

2 comments:

  1. I agree I think that the City of Borders documentary looks really interesting. I liked this weeks readings because it really opened my eyes to the LGBT community in Jerusalem. It's interesting to see how this community is able to overcome the differences that Israelis and Palestinians cannot. I think it has a lot to do with how they feel society treats them. They face constant discrimination especially in a such a religious city. It's not surprising that they have such an open and welcoming community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to see the documentary as well! I think Amy is going to try to wrangle it for us, or Jourdan said she would try to "acquire" it through other means, because it's not yet available on Netflix.

    Anyway, love your last line. "These are the type of people that understand the bond between each other, not the separation." Let's hope that group of people grows, eh?

    ReplyDelete